I am a float nurse and that means I work in all the nursing departments of my regional hospital and on the evening of Oct 11, 2018 I am just starting my night shift in our ER when at about 7:30pm I am sitting down getting report when I feel a gush of fluid down below. I assume it is urine so I go to the bathroom and my panty liner is covered in blood there is not just a little blood I am in shock there is a lot of blood. I clean up the best I can and I leave the bathroom, help my teammate pull up and settle a patient and then tell them that I am bleeding and need to be checked. For some reason in my mind I can't go to labour and delivery because I am only 20w exactly today so I go sit in triage and wait only to then learn I should be upstairs on labour and delivery to be assessed. I am still in complete shock. Up I go. A former colleague of mine is working and initially mistakes why I am there. She thought I was there to offer them help. I somehow manage to tell her I am there to be assessed. Another nurse takes me to the assessment room where I proceed to tell her what happened. To my luck my OB is on call that night. I get an internal exam that shows I am 1cm dilated, and a bedside ultrasound that shows what he thinks is low fluid around baby. I am told that I will either go to our tertiary care centre about an hour away for a cerclage or I have low fluid and we need to talk outcomes. He then calls in the ultrasound tech and down I go for a better ultrasound which also shows only one small pocket of fluid. Essentially the worse of the two scenarios. He explains the prognosis to me. Likely I will go into labour on my own within the next couple days and if I don't my baby's lungs won't be developed, they will likely have contracted limbs because amniotic fluid is needed for proper lung development and to give babies room to spread out in the uterus. He explains I essentially have two options I can terminate my pregnancy or I can continue on with expected management or watchful waiting until I am at least 24w as baby would not be viable before then. Either way he was referring me to the maternal fetal medicine specialist the next day to further discuss my options. I head to the Fetal Assessment Treatment Centre (FATC) at the tertiary care hospital an hour away from home the next day where another ultrasound confirms no fluid. The options essentially remain the same terminate, continue on week to week, or just keep going knowing my body would likely go into labour at any point. Initially I am ready to terminate, but decide to give it a week to see if more fluid accumulates so we schedule another appointment at The FATC for the next week. The next few days are hell. My husband and I have to make a decision that no one should ever have to make.
Hugs to you! What a hard difficult road you have faced. Will check in to see your next blog.
March of Dimes fights for the health of all moms and babies. We're advocating for policies to protect them. We're working to radically improve the health care they receive. We're pioneering research to find solutions. We're empowering families with the knowledge and tools to have healthier pregnancies. By uniting communities, we're building a brighter future for us all.
Privacy, Terms, and Notices
© Privacy, terms and notices