Introducing myself

Hi everyone! This is my first time to ever join a website and want to introduce myself. My name is Katie and I'm the momma of a sweet 2 year old boy (full term) and a little 1 month old girl (33 weeker). We've only been home for 2 weeks because little Karter spent 2 weeks in the NICU. It's crazy to think that her due date isn't until the end of this month. She came early via emergency c section due to placental abruption. She's doing amazing even though she was small for her gestational age, only 3 lbs 9 oz. I've found that I'm the one struggling more than she is. I think I have PTSD from my experience and I obsess over it. I tend to have flashbacks and am afraid this will happen again. It is a miracle that Karter is here with me today. Anyone else have a placental abruption?

3 Replies

• In reply to lvazquez:

Welcome to Share, and congratulations on your daughter! I can't personally speak to the NICU experience, but I know from interacting with other moms who have that the effects can linger on moms and dads.

Please check in again and let us know how you are. Many hugs.

Erin
  • In reply to lvazquez:

Congrats on the birth of your daughter. I am so happy to hear you are home and she is doing so well. Love her name. Welcome to Share. I am so happy you came and I hope you find it a good place to come vent and talk to others in similar situations. PTSD is very real with preemie babies. My youngest preemie is now 2.5 and it still strikes me. At random times and about random things. And I honestly think it always will. Share helps tremendously. Knowing I am not alone and there is always someone who knows what I am going through helps. I hope you find the same here. Hugs.
  • Hello and congratulations on your baby girl Karter! I'm so glad to hear that you are both okay, that she met her NICU goals, and is now snuggly at home with her family. It's totally normal to be having those flash-backs and to be reliving those moments. I had a placental abruption 8 years ago. My son did not survive and I almost didn't. I lost 60% of my blood and had numerous transfusions to save me. I found this site a few days after that happened and it provided me with an immediate outlet to put all of the emotions and pain. Like you, it was the first time that I had subscribed to anything online and shared such personal stuff. This site offered support when I needed it the most and I still lean on it from time to time. I hope that it can do the same for you. When we share, we heal ourselves and maybe others too as there is always wonderful insight to be found in love and loss. I hope to read more about your little girl and her big brother as they grow.

Welcome to Share,

Lindsay
Related