New to Share

Hello everyone,

I'm Jenny and my son, Oscar, was born at 31 weeks in October of 2016.  I was in the middle of midwifery school.  It was terrifying.  I had relentless Braxton-Hicks contractions and went from a fingertip to 3cm painlessly in two hours.  I ended up keeping him in for six more days.  He was in the NICU for five weeks.   He is healthy and wonderful thank goodness but I am terrified to have another.  I want my son to have a sibling, I just can't bear the thought of going through it again, this time with a full time job and a toddler. Does any here have success stories with the Makena injections?  My IUD is still firmly in place but I am hoping to go into removing it with some positivity.  I am grateful for this community.  

Best,

Jenny

2 Replies

• Hi Jenny, welcome to Share and congratulations on your sweet son Oscar! I was also very terrified to have another baby as I was so scared of what could happen after my first pregnancy. Unfortunately, fear got in the way too much and I did not have anymore which I regret to this day and will probably continue to regret for the rest of my life. I do know many women who have gone on to have normal pregnancies but I do think it depends. I had a incompetent cervix so my OB said if I did decide to have another that she would start me on progesterone at week 17-18. I think its good to do exactly what you are doing and research other women's journeys and talk with you midwife and/or OB to discuss a plan of action as you decide. Will be thinking of you as you navigate this and hoping you find some inspiration to follow!

Hugs,
    Judy
  • Hi Jenny and welcome to Share! Congrats on your son Oscar! So glad to read that he is healthy and growing right along. I don't have experience with the exact question asked, but I do know that there are many moms who had preemies and were able to carry the next baby either to term or for several more weeks. My first baby was a 32-weeker and his brother was a 34-weeker. They are 20 months apart. Your concerns are totally understandable. I was concerned about going through that same NICU experience again, but somehow I was able to put the worry aside knowing that each and every pregnancy is different. I had total faith in my good OB who kept his eye on me and our unborn son the first time. Know that you will (hopefully) be seen more frequently by the doctor and you'll discuss a plan. There's always the possibility of bedrest or reducing down to part-time, but you can discuss all of that with your OB.

Good luck and hear to listen,

Lindsay
Related