New to Share? Say hello & introduce yourself!

229 Replies

• Hello! a couple weeks ago I brought home my beautiful Leah. She was born at 30 1/2 weeks. She was 3lbs 4oz. She is doing great but is on a monitor due to one Brady she had before we left. It is very hard for me to understand that she is two months and one week old but still at 39 weeks today. When will she catch up, will she be behind everyone. She is now 6lbs so she is gaining great! I just cant wait to talk to some moms that understand what I am going through. I have several people say, Oh I had a preemie at 35 weeks. But... that's 5 weeks more then mine so there is a difference. :smile:
  • Maravu Mom: welcome to Share and you have found the right place. There are many moms her that can help you navigate the NICU journey. I hope you will start a blog and keep us update when and if the time come, hoping the Birth mom makes it closer to full term.

Samantha
  • Hello...on Monday my husband and I matched with a birth mom who has a history of premature birth to adopt her baby upon delivery. Our 5 y.o. son was born at 37 weeks so I have no experience with premature baby issues and I'll admit that I'm scared to death. We clicked with this birth mom and we know we have made the right decision, but I'm so worrried about this baby and how we will cope when it is born. We are in Virginia and the mom is in Ohio so we will be navigating the NICU far away from home for possibly a long period of time. She has never made it past 31 weeks and her earliest baby was born at 25. The mom is getting the necessary prenatal care with her established physician but she has her own challenges and does not have a stress-free life to say the least. I'm hoping that joining this page and meeting other moms will help me prepare for what lies ahead with us and allow me to see the light at the end of this tunnel. I want to be excited about our family growing, not overwhelmed by dread and worry.....
  • Rebecca - Welcome to Share. I'm so sorry you had to find us. I, too have lost two pregnancies (both were twins!) one set at 9 weeks and the other at 21. Please do check out blogs and short stories and consider starting one of your own. I found it immensely helpful in navigating life after my sons died. The link below will take you to an area where other bereaved mothers chat about life after...

http://shareyourstory.org/webx/.ee81e32/

TylersMom - Welcome to Share. You will find lots of other moms who have experienced similar situations. I hope that your son makes good progress in the NICU and that you are healing, too. You may find this link helpful.

http://shareyourstory.org/webx/Share%20Home/Parent%20To%20Parent/InTheNICU/

Shannon
  • Hello,

I am a brand new mom and my baby was born on Feb. 21, 2013 at 26 weeks. I had severe preclympsia and they had to take the baby out to save me! My son will be in the NICU for a while and I thought about joining this site for support and to talk to other parents of premature babies. It's really hard to have a new baby and go through all this :frown:
  • Hi. My name is Rebecca and I am new to this site. I found out about it from a March of Dimes grief booklet. I've lost two babies now. One in my first trimester, but the second one was 22 weeks along. We are still coping with his death and looking for others to talk with as none of our family or friends have been through this before. I guess I'll head over and check out the short stories and blogs.
  • Hi I am Ayaz Ahmad and I am newbie here want to learn and share with others what I know about so happy to join this plat forum hope it will be a good place for me.

Thank you
  • Hello Stephanie and welcome to Share! Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet girl Rowan. I know when we were innocent we all thought there was a "safe spot" when it came to our babies whether that be the start of the second trimester, or birth, or somewhere beyond and to have that safe spot ripped away is just agonizing especially when thinking of the future. I hope that the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly, as do the days following her birth. Many hugs to you!
    Stacy
  • Hi there,

My name is Stephanie. I've already started a blog, but wanted to introduce myself here on the boards also.
    I gave birth to a seemingly healthy baby girl we named Rowan Josephine on January 31st, 2012. We took her home after 2 days in the hospital and resumed with our lives, happy to have this amazing new life to look forward to.
    One morning, I woke up to find her looking extremely swollen and whimpering. I rushed her to the hospital where they ran tests for an entire day to try and find out what was happening.
    The next morning they informed us that she had bacterial meningitis, and it was bad. She suffered extreme brain damage and was in a deep coma.
    After 2 agonizing weeks, hoping for a miracle, we decided that she had suffered enough and let her go.
    We struggled with the decision, but felt it was really the best thing we could do for her and for us.
    At the end, we came to realize this was all caused by Group B Strep.
    They couldnt tell us for sure whether it was late onset from birth - since I tested positive, I received antibiotics during labor. Or if she had contracted it from someone else. I had no idea it was something we should be worried about after the fact.
    Here we are almost a year after her passing and we still are not any clearer on the way it all happened.
    I am currently 28 weeks pregnant with our second child, another girl. I want to be excited and hope for the best, but this fear lingers ever near.
    I am terrified of it all happening again. And there's no fool proof plan to prevent it at all.
    I feel we need more information on this. I felt like I was reassured nothing bad would happen, and the very worst did.
    What happened to my baby was devastating. Watching her slip away so suddenly was the worst thing that will ever happen to me and my boyfriend. I so hope no one else has to suffer like we did because of this terrifying infection.
    If I can pass along anything it's to ask more questions. Get to know more about this if you are a carrier. Dont just take things at their word. There are other options out there, even if no one knows what they are yet. If we bring more attention to this problem, we may someday have a way of preventing other babies from such damage.

Thanks to this site for existing. I'm so glad I came across it.
    Best wishes to all those suffering out there.

• Welcome to Share. I'm sorry to hear that your son is having difficulties- and the prospect of a g-tube is I'm sure very scary.

There was actually a video post recently about how moms and dads cope differently- http://shareyourstory.org/webx/.efab236/1

And a thread here about medical conditions that might be helpful.
    http://shareyourstory.org/webx/.ee8d595/

Lots of us have also found it helpful to keep a blog- helps release stress.

Keep posted when you can.
    Lauren
  • Hello, I am the mother of a 27 weeker, Kevin who was born on 11/19/11 and was 1lb, 10oz. He was in the NICU for 3 months. he came home with multiple medical issues, medications and an apnea machine. His is currently in physical, occupational, speech and feeding therapies. He has acid reflux and is not able to hold down more than 2-3 oz per feeding. We just found out after a video swalow test that he is aspirating. To be honest, I am overwhelmed because now his GI doctor wants to give him a G-tube. I try and explain my anxiety to my husband, however I dont think he understads me sometimes. I am happy to have joined this site so i have an outlet and others that may relate. Thanks for listening.
  • Hi Maria
    Welcome to Share! My son was a 26 weeker. He is 4.5 now. We have been dealing with speech and motor delays and he is in a special ed preschool. I'll head over and read your blog. I definitely have found blogging to be a good way to release frustration and get things off my chest. I hope you find the same!
    Marissa
  • Hello Maria and welcome to Share!! I would love to hear more about your daughter's story! In the meantime, here's a link to a thread over on the parent to parent section that talks about delays and disabilities that you might be interested in!

http://shareyourstory.org/webx/.efaab26/25

Stacy
  • Hi! My name is Maria and i just started a blog....
    I am the mother of 2. My son who was full term and is now 9 and my daughter who was born at 27 weeks, weighing 2 lbs 1 oz. She is now 5 and we were are starting to see academic delays, she also has a history of respitory issues. I decided to start a blog as a way to release frustration. I guess we'll see if helps.
  • Alisa: Hello and welcome to Share! I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter Sienna, she is such a precious little girl! Not having answers is so hard, we didn't have any for the longest time after losing our girls and it was hard because we didn't know how or if we could prevent it from happening again. I'm glad to see that you've found your way around Share, many hugs to you and I'm here whenever you need a shoulder to lean on.

Ashley: Hey! Welcome to Share! Hoping for many more weeks for you! Glad you've been able to find the preggo and fabulous thread, that's the place that got me through my high risk pregnancy with my son, it was a life saver!
Related