26 weeks premie born 2/14/16

I gave birth to my daughter on Valentine's Day at exactly 26 weeks. She is still in the NICU today and we are looking to bring her home in the next week or so. The last over 3 months have been hard to say the least. She had to have heart surgery to correct a PDA that wasn't closing on its own in March. Since then, things have gradually gotten better. We are anticipating her coming home on oxygen unfortunately because she does not do well consistently when they try and wean her off. hopefully she will grow faster and better at home with us and we won't have to worry about her being on the oxygen for long. She was born less than 2 pounds and now weighs 5 1/2 pounds and has grown 6 inches since birth (12 to 18 inches). The NICU is definitely a difficult journey, but I know once we look back on it we will be thankful years from now for the strength it has provided us as a family. I pray for each of you with similar experiences and especially for those whose babies never made it home. 

9 Replies

• In reply to Lonewolfncubz:

That is great news. It is exciting to see these tiny babies gaining weight. I hope the successes keep coming. Keep yourself healthy for sure. Going into cold and flu season can be hard, especially if you get sick and can't see baby.
    Cassie
  • In reply to 99days:

Thanks a bunch cassie i feel a little bit more encouraged as the stay in the nicu has been a positive thing so far my son is on a fortifier and started to gain wait for the first time since he's been born he is a week old today and is strong as the doctors and nurses say.... for now taking care of myself is the goal at this point to be completely 100 percent for him and so far he's only getting stronger
  • In reply to Lonewolfncubz:

Welcome to Share. Congratulations on the birth of your son. It sounds like you are a bit overwhelmed right now, which is completely understandable with all that you've been through lately. I'm so sorry that your first son did not live to meet his brother and be there with you. I had a 25 week preemie and he's doing well now. He's almost 5 years old. The nicu can be so tough and you can reach out to us if you need to. Just post in forums or blogs.
    Cassie
  • 6 days ago i had my second boy at exactly 26 weeks to. My emotional status is hard to keep up with as I still mourn for my first born's passing.. Feeling possibly unsure as a mother is normal for the state i'm now in as i watch my second born fight to survive in the Nicu unit so far he's had 5 good days out of six but that doesn't take account of how bumpy the road might be from a month from now.... Getting discharged and separated from the little one is very harsh when all i wanna do is be there all the time non stop.... Taking it day by day is all i got to do as i watch him grow
  • 6 days ago i had my second boy at exactly 26 weeks to. My emotional status is hard to keep up with as I still mourn for my first born's passing.. Feeling possibly unsure as a mother is normal for the state i'm now in as i watch my second born fight to survive in the Nicu unit so far he's had 5 good days out of six but that doesn't take account of how bumpy the road might be from a month from now.... Getting discharged and separated from the little one is very harsh when all i wanna do is be there all the time non stop.... Taking it day by day is all i got to do as i watch him grow
  • In reply to Kiranks:

I have a 25 week baby in nicu as well since May 26
  • In reply to Hunter and Randi's Mom:

Congratulations! I've just had a daughter at 25 weeks, she has PDA and is in the NICU and I hope I can stay as positive as you sound.
  • Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. It sounds like she is growing well. I had a 25 week preemie who went home on oxygen. It took him 3.5 months to wean off, but I've seen others do it sooner. They definitely do it when they are ready. My son also had the PDA ligation and doesn't have any problems with it now. Let us know how she's doing!
    Cassie
  • Welcome to Share! I'm glad to hear that your daughter is making good progress in the NICU. Fingers crossed that you get to bring her home soon!
    Marissa
Related