Baby Boy born 26.5 weeks

My baby boy was born at 26.5 weeks 8 1/2 weeks ago. He is gaining weight and growing well.  He has no problems with feedings. His lungs are very immature. He has chronic lung disease and it doesn't seem to be changing. He has had pneumonia once. He has been on the oscillator and the vent. He still requires lots of oxygen. Steroids did not appear to work this time at all. I know this is going to be a long road but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this with their son and how long it took.

5 Replies

• In reply to SCPreemie:

Thanks for updating us on Laken. Glad the pneumonia is gone. I'm so happy to hear that you are seeing weight gain and smiles. It is so funny to think of these little guys getting plump yet still being smaller than most newborns. I remember staring at other babies who were 7 pounds and thinking they were giants! I really hope Laken keeps making progress with his breathing and goes home with you soon.
    Cassie
  • In reply to 99days:

Laken is on day 84 in NICU. Day 32 on oscillator this time. Oxygen is at 85%. Doing well just waiting on his lungs to mature. He is getting bigger. Up to 4.11. He is happy and smiles a lot. He did have pneumonia again but it is now gone.
  • In reply to SCPreemie:

The infections are so frustrating. I hope he really can push through all of that extra stuff and get plump. Keep us updated on yours and Laken's progress.
    Cassie
  • In reply to 99days:

Thanks for replying. I am glad your son is doing well.

It is a day by day thing in the NICU. Laken is on the oscillator and has been since Monday. He has an infection and on antibiotics. He has an issue with being able to oxygenating hisself. Hopefully with good nutrition and time to grow we can overcome this.
  • Hello and welcome to Share. Congratulations on the birth of your son. I'm sorry that he came so early and that he is struggling with his lungs.
    I had a 25 week preemie with chronic lung as well. He didn't outgrow it until he was almost 3 years old. With that being said, he did get stronger and went home after 99 days in the NICU. He always struggled with breathing and went home on oxygen for another 3.5 months. After my son had the PDA surgery (clamp in the heart) his lungs collapsed and he was really struggling and was on the oscillator. He eventually worked through it though. He progressed slowly and we just had to be patient with him. They really are on their own schedule and sometimes take longer than we'd want or expect.
    He is now almost 5 years old and doing great. We use inhalers when he gets a bad cough from a cold and he's more susceptible to get pneumonia quickly from a common cold than other kids. Other than that, almost no one knows he was a preemie. Feel free to ask any questions or vent to us. We are here!
    Cassie
Related