My 25 week baby boy/Scary time

I began to have complications around 20 weeks with my baby boy. I went to my doctor’s appointment and the doctor had a strange look on his face. He says you’re about 21 weeks and you are in preterm labor. Your one centimeter dilated so we are going to admit you into the hospital and try to stop this labor. I was given all types of medication to stop the contractions and they worked. I was placed on bed rest the remainder of the pregnancy. At 22 weeks I received my second steroid shot to improve his lungs just in case I would go into labor. But everything seemed to be going well I finally made it to 25 weeks. Then I had my appointment on October 31st of this year and the doctor said no change see you back here in 3 weeks. I’m excited everything is going so well then Saturday morning around 11am I began bleeding. I started to have contractions every 15 minutes get to the hospital they say I’m still 1 centimeter and no change but the blood was there like a period(so for the graphics). They moved me to a labor and delivery room and my contractions was coming every 10 minutes, then 5 minutes, then 3 minutes then 2 minutes apart they checked me I was 3 centimeters. None of the medication was working, so I was rushed in for an emergency c-section. My little man was born November 3, 2018 at 11:00 pm weighing 1 pound 8oz. He was suppose to be here February 14, 2019. But overall he said I am ready for the world and he is doing so well. We still have ups and downs but overall we’re in great spirits. My little PAC-MAN ❤️

Trying to be strong for my little man

11 Replies

• In reply to LauraGordillo:

You definitely need rest. Hang in there and know you are not alone in this journey. Many hugs as you navigate this NICU journey
    Samantha
  • In reply to ArmyMom09:

I used to feel like it was my fault as well! Some days still I go thru moments where I think it is my fault but it is definitely not ur fault. Once u start believing that then things will get easier! U need to get some rest. I would take a day a week off from going to the NICU to get some rest!!
  • Thank you for sharing <3 sending you and your little PAC-MAN lots of love during this journey! Take it one day, one breathe, one moment at a time. Your little man is stronger than you can ever imagine! Don't be afraid to ask questions to your NICU team... they're there to walk you through this every step of the way. And so are we!

If you need any additional resources or have questions, we also have our My NICU Baby App (free to download) that can provide answers. More details about the app are at www.mynicubaby.org.

How is your son doing today?
  • In reply to ArmyMom09:

You DEFINITELY need rest. You need to also take care of yourself. It's so important for you and baby. You are such a good and strong mama!!! Just keep trying to see that light each day! Hugs to you!!
  • In reply to MommyK2014:

Thank you it is definitely a emotional roller coaster. There are times where I feel like it’s my fault he is there. Plus there are times where I want to take the pain away. I never want to leave his side but I need to get rest but that’s still hard to do. I’m trying my best to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
  • In reply to ArmyMom09:

It's exactly an emotional roller coaster, you take one step forward but then another step back. But you are not alone in this. Lean on us and allow the NICU staff to do all they need to for him. I questioned so much when I was in the NICU but in hindsight the NICU was doing EXACTLY what they needed to do. I see you are in Eastern VA?  I live in Richmond!  xo, Judy

• Congrats on your baby boy!!! Being a NICU mom is going to be an emotional rollercoaster. Just know that you are not alone and have so much support. He will get through this and trust that the NICU staff is doing what is best for him!!! They will get him through this and he will come home as soon as he is ready.
  • In reply to Jrmiller25:

This is such an emotional roller coaster. For two days now his breathing has not been so good. So they took him off his new ventilator and placed him back on the jet machine. He is fighting the machine and not letting the machine work for him. His pressure has been going up. It’s so scary seeing him like this.
  • In reply to ArmyMom09:

I know you are trying to be strong, that's because you are trying to be double strong for him. I did the same. But try and let your emotions come out as they are there. It's okay to cry, be emotional, and let down your guard. It's a journey where your emotions are in so many places. It's HARD. We all share in those same emotions. You are a great mama. Hang in there and keep us posted.
  • In reply to Jrmiller25:

Thank you so much. I’m so emotional I haven’t cried as of yet because I’m trying so hard to show everyone I’m strong. But there are times I’m like it’s all my fault he came so early. But my little PAC-MAN is showing me he is a fighter. Yesterday they put him on one ventilator and he loves it. He is breathing on his own with the help of the ventilator. They didn’t know if he would handle it but he did. He is more relaxed and he finally opened his eyes for me. I to most people they may think I’m crazy but I was so excited to him have his first poop. Lol Monday he will get his pik line in and I will be able to hold him for the first time. I’m really excited and he telling me in so many words don’t worry mommy I’m strong and I’m your little SuperMan
  • Welcome to Share, so glad you found us. Congratulations on your sweet boy!! I'm glad to hear he is doing so well. I know this is such an emotional roller coaster. You try and hold on to the good days and realize that there are the days when things are a bit more scary. But we are here for you. There are so many families on here that share similar journeys. Be sure to take care of yourself and talk with your NICU nurses about how you can be involved more in his care...that helped me alot. Being able to care for my babies really helped me mentally and emotionally.

Keep us posted on his progress!!
    Hugs!
    Judy
Related