HELLP

On March 13, 2017 my blood pressure decided to spike and I was having severe epi-gastric pain. I work on the OB floor, so my OB decided to send me home from work and have me rest and than recheck my blood pressure. I went home and took about a 2 hour nap and woke up still in just as much pain as before. I checked my blood pressure and it had went up significantly since I had left work. I called my OB and he decided it would be best for me to go on to the ER. After what felt like waiting forever and a million test later, the OB on call decided that it would be best just to keep me overnight to make sure all my numbers came back to normal. When I woke the next morning my OB said that I was on the verge of developing HELLP syndrome, a severe form of preeclampsia, and would need to stay in the hospital until I delivered. What a shock this was to me, I was only 22 weeks, I couldn't imagine staying in the same hospital bed for the next 18 weeks. For the next three days, I stayed in that bed and every morning they would come in to do blood work and there morning rounds. That Thursday morning, my husband decided he was going back to work since all I was doing was laying in bed all day. Nothing really for him to do. They came in an did my blood work and the rounds just like normal. About an hour later my OB came in and said that my blood work had came back severe. My liver enzymes were elevated and my platelets had dropped. Everything was beginning to shut down. The only way to save me was to deliver my baby girl. The next couple hours went by so quickly. I had to call my husband and tell him he had to come back, along with other family members to let them know what was going on. They gave me the option to have a vaginal delivery, but since Riley was only 22 weeks they wouldn't be able to monitor her and there would be a chance that she would pass before she was born, also might end up having to have a C-section if didn't labor quickly enough. The other option was a C-section. There were more risk with surgery but it meant that Riley might live for a little bit after she was born. Once my husband got back we decided that C-section was going to be the best thing, since it might give us just a little time with our little girl. I remember them taking me back to the OR to do my spinal, which I think I was the most nervous about. Finally they let my husband come back and all I remember is lying on that table looking up at my husband crying and shaking from being so cold/nerves. At 9:31 am, Riley Jeanette was born. I got to see her for a brief moment and than they rushed her off to see if there was anything they could do for her. Just minutes later, they brought her back to me an said there was nothing that they could do and that I should just hold her and love on her. I held her the entire time I laid on that table while they was finishing my csection. Once they finished my csection, they took Riley and got her measurements, while they got me back in a regular room. The first hour I wasn't aloud to have an visitors, because I was at a high risk for having seizures, they wanted to keep the mood of the room calm. After that hour we started letting family members come back to meet our precious little girl. Every family member that was there got to come back an meet our precious little girl before she passed. She lived for a 3 hours before she took her last breath. I will forever be thankful for those 3 hours.  

2 Replies

• HI welcome to share. Those 3 hours will be something you treasure forever. My son died 5 years ago at 2 weeks old. Thank you for sharing your story with us and telling us about your precious little girl. We are here whenever you need to share more. hugs, Nicki
  • Hello and Welcome to Share. I am so sorry for the loss of your baby girl and that you find yourself here telling this story instead of welcoming her into the word and caring for her. I lost my first baby girl Josie to Trisomy 18 in 2007. IT forever changes you in a way that most can't understand. Please know that we are here for you and you are not alone in this journey. Keep in touch and reach out whenever you need someone to listen, its what we are all about!
    Love and Hugs
    Brandi
Related