full term labor after premature birth

My first child was born 12 weeks early weighing 2.5 lbs (1100 kilos).  I was able to deliver vaginally without medication.  As far as physical pain goes, it wasn't a walk in the park, but it was manageable.  (Emotionally it the most painful thing I've ever experienced.)  I'm pregnant with my second child and hoping to make it to term.  I've been talking to a lot of other soon-to-be second time moms to full term babies, and they all seem freaked out about dealing with the pain of labor again.  I hadn't been worried about it, since I managed the pain the first time around, but now I am starting to wonder if I should think more about pain management.  Has anyone delivered a full term baby after delivering a low birth weight infant?  Did size factor in to a dramatically different birth experience the second time around?  (Or any other factors, such as your emotional state?) 

Thank you.

3 Replies

• Don't worry you can and will deliver full term this time around. Wishing you all the best with pain management. Ask for an epidural or pain meds once needed.
  • My first child was born at 29 weeks and was 2 lbs. 13 oz. Afterward, I hardly had any pain, normal labor pain shorter duration and an obviously easier delivery. My second son was 8 lbs. 5 oz. and I was 39 weeks when I gave birth. I can't speak for the actual birth because I ended up having to have a C-section, but during the labor portion, it was the same pain and intensity as the first time around. The biggest difference was the duration. The doctor said this was also because it was 11 years since the birth of my first son. I ended up getting an epidural, mostly because I was stuck at 7 cm dilated and I was exhausted. When I am drained, I can't deal with the pain nearly as well. I would go into the situation optimistic and see where it takes you. Just be open to the possibility of modifying your pain management plan. Emotionally, it is so much easier to deal with everything when you know your baby is full term and they aren't giving you all the scary things to expect from premature birth. After both births, I took ibuprofen and Tylenol, even with the C-section. The baby being in my room the second time really helped me deal with any pain I was feeling.
  • Hello-
    My first daughter was only 4lbs due to a birth defect, not prematurity. My second daughter, full term, was 7lbs and 9oz, and longer than my first. I delivered both vaginally but opted for an epidural with both births. My recovery was actually better with the second birth, as with my first I had a minor infection with a fever and ended up back in the hospital because of it, but thankfully I wasn't admitted overnight. During my first birth pain meds actually helped me focus on the moment and my baby as opposed to my own pain. I think it really comes down to your own personal feelings about how you want to give birth.
    Wishing you so much luck
Related