Pregnant again after preemie. Worried.

Hello everybody!

My long story, short. In 2013 I was 29 weeks pregnant. Perfect pregnancy so far, no problems. Until one afternoon when I started having contractions every 5 minutes. No pain, just tightness. After resting, taking a shower, hoping it would go away, I decided to go to the hospital to get checked. I was sure everything is OK and they will send me home. Well, they checked me... I was 3 cm dilated and paper thin efaced(90%). They admitted me right away and they did not even let me sit up for the rest of my hospital stay. I was in complete shock. The doctor came and  told me that our first goal was to keep me pregnant for the 2 steroid shots to do their job. And our second goal would be to keep me pregnant until 34 weeks. They managed to keep me pregnant for 6 days. The magnesium did not work anymore and my contractions intensified. I gave birth to a healthy baby girl at 30+3 weeks. She was a big baby, 4lbs 7oz. She had no complications, she didn't even need oxygen. She was in the NICU for a month. She is 18 months now. I don't tell people she was a preemie anymore because they don't believe me.

I just found out i'm pregnant again. I saw my OBGYN. He talked about progesterone shots, cerclage, ultrasounds every 2 weeks, steroid shots. This is a whole new world for me, and it sounds scary.

2 Replies

• In reply to Hunter and Randi's Mom:

Congratulations on your pregnancy! A little about my history, in January 2010 I gave birth to a little girl born with wings. In September 2010 I found out I was pregnant again. This was a very scary pregnancy, I just knew something would go wrong. I was put on immediate bed rest at 7 weeks, cerclage in place at 11 weeks, started progesterone shots, weekly prenatal appointments. At 33 weeks I went into labor. I gave birth to a beautiful little girl. She is 3 now, my angel. Found out 3 weeks ago, I'm pregnant again! I am scared, anxious, nervous and my husband doesn't understand all of these emotions. I lost one, have one and now another is due in August. My emotions are an ocean and I'm not sure how to handle it. My prayers are with you as the rollercoaster of a pregnancy like yours seems so long and stretched out. Prayers work best for me. God knows what he's doing.

• Welcome to Share!  Congratulations on your pregnancy and I am happy to hear that your preemie is doing well. I gave birth at 26 weeks in my first pregnancy. For my second pregnancy I decided with my doctor to take a number of precautions. I had progesterone shots, a cerclage, visits every 2 weeks at first and then weekly and went on modified bed rest at 24 weeks. I did make it to full term with my second pregnancy. It is very scary to be pregnant after a preemie. Share was a great resource for me during my second pregnancy. We are all here for you to provide support, answer questions or just be a listening ear.  

I will be keeping you in my thoughts and hoping for a long and uneventful 40 weeks.

Hugs,

Marissa

Related