Second pregnancy questions

hello,

On June 30 last year I had a preterm loss. I had a little girl, Nora, at 19 weeks. I had the most difficult pregnancy with placenta preaviA.  i just took a pregnancy test and confirmed with a blood test that we are pregnant again. I do not have the same symptoms yet, really non but a little tired and nauseous. My normal OB is on maternity leave and her substitute doesn't want to see me until I'm 10 weeks along. Is this normal or should I fight to get an ultrasound earlier?

4 Replies

• In reply to Josie12907:

Welcome to Share. I am so sorry for your loss of Nora. I have mixed feelings about not being seen until 10 weeks. As someone who works in the medical field I understand that little if anything can be done at an ultrasound or appointment before that time frame. However I also think that caring for the mother is equally as important as caring for the baby and moms who have experienced loss should be handled with care. I had an amazing OB during and after my loss and as soon as I found out I was pregnant again I was given an ultrasound. I doubt the ultrasound did anything more than put my mind at ease but that was so important because I was still very much grieving my loss.

Does this stand in provider know your back story? Maybe you could explain your anxiety to them and she could work you in for a quick check? I am thinking of you and we are all here if you have any more questions.

Jami

Hi,

I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm not sure what the answer is here. However, I would make sure that the doctor standing in for your usual doctor is very aware of your history. I'm thinking of you. Please keep us updated as time passes.

Rebecca

Welcome to Share. I am so sorry for your loss.  I know how stressful it is to be pregnant after a loss. I hope your doctor's office is able to see you and address your fears. Did the doctor's office know your history when you called?  Even if it is too early to do the ultrasound, maybe they could just see you, do another blood test and give you a bit of comfort?  That said, I do think I had to wait until 10 weeks in my second pregnancy too, but after that they saw me very regularly. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and sending lots of good wishes for a healthy 40 weeks.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hugs,

Marissa

• I think it is completely normal to want to know as much as possible as soon as possible. Since I lost my first baby to Trisomy 18 and didn't know until 6 months I was pretty anxious with my second. My CNM was able to pick up the fetal heartbeat about 10 weeks at my first appointment. Then I scheduled my first ultrasound at 11.5 weeks for the neucal transluscency screening. I'm not sure what the earliest gestation is for detecting placenta preavia is, but it could be they aren't seeing you simply becuase they can't give you any answers yet. The waiting is horrible, I know. You're in my thoughts and prayers for an uneventful and full term pregnancy. And I am so sorry for the loss of your Nora.

Related