Placenta Abruption and Subsequent Pregnancy

On September 2, 2014, 3 days after my due day, my water finally broke. When I got up out of bed to run to the bathroom, I realized it was all blood. There was blood everywhere and it wouldn't stop.  We decided to call 911 it was so bad. The ambulance arrived within minutes, but told me they were required by law to take me to the local emergency room vs. the hospital I was to delivery at to make sure I was stable.  I did not argue as it seemed logical.  Our house looked like a murder scene and I knew something was wrong. The local emergency room would take minutes to get to. They could help sooner than the hospital 30 minutes away. However, upon arriving at the local ER, they dismissed my concerns about the bleeding.  I had now been on the stretcher since I left my house. I did not stand for anything, so by this point I was no longer gushing, just leaking and the blood did not seem so bad. The EMT threw my underwear in the trash while in my bathroom because they were soaked in blood.  The doctor simply looked at the gurney and determined "my water was just tinged with blood, which sometimes happens when membranes rupture."  He checked my cervix, said I was not dilated, I was simply in labor.  He told my in-laws to go home and get rest because I "was not having a baby anytime soon."  He then arranged for a transfer to the hospital I was to delivery at.  We then had to wait over 45 minutes for an ambulance to come from the city I was actually going to. While we waited, the nurses attempted to scrub the blood from my legs... like it was normal. 

Upon finally arriving at the appropriate hospital, I was asked to give a urine sample.  As soon as I stood up, the bleeding and fluid started again. They immediately put me on the fetal monitor and within seconds I was surrounded and being brought to the OR. My husband didn't even have time to get ready to be in there. 

Our baby boy, Patrick, was born at 3:10am, after being deprived of oxygen for over 2 hours.  He passed away in our arms at 6:35 that same morning. 

We are now 6.5 months out and starting to talk about trying again.  Emotionally, I'm not sure that I'm ready. But I know that I might not ever be and am working on the grief and guilt.  Physically, I would love to be reassured by hearing other stories of people who have suffered abruptions but went on to have successful subsequent pregnancies. 

Thank you in advance for sharing!

6 Replies

• Thank you for sharing. I would also like to hear some successful subsequent pregnancy stories, and hopefully I will have my own to share some day. I also had a placental abruption last September (on 9/11 of all days). I was 19 weeks along. My son's name was Samson. I understand what you mean when you say that you may never be ready emotionally. My husband and I agreed to try again next year. If you feel like talking about it, I'd like to hear how things are going with you?
  • Thank you for sharing a picture of your Patrick with us. I am so very sorry for your loss. I had a placental abruption 6 years ago and with our third pregnancy. I also had undiagnosed preeclampsia and a blood clot. I saw the same awesome OB for all three pregnancies until 21 weeks when I had an unwanted transfer of care to someone not as familiar with my condition or high risk patients. I knew something was terribly wrong one late night and drove myself to the hospital. My water broke on the way there. When I stripped off my clothes, blood was everywhere and it kept pouring out of me. When my water broke, the clot that had formed from the abruption had opened up and I was bleeding out. No heart beat was detected with the fetal monitor and after emergency delivery, I woke up to a sleeping baby. He was so beautiful just like your son.

I was alone that night until my husband joined me later on in the early hours the following morning. There wasn't time to discuss what to do. I had made the decision on paper and in pen that this was our last baby. I went ahead with that plan (even though I've had many regrets and should not have been making anymore life altering decisions within minutes of learning that my son was gone) and given my history, it probably was the better choice. My awesome former OB happened to be at the hospital that weekend. He came to my room and felt so bad for us. He told me, "We could talk about what to do differently next time, but I know you've already made that decision. And it was a good decision." It hurt because I heard the hope in his voice, but also the reasoning in his comment.

It is a biological imperative for most to want a baby. It's no one else's business, but your own. The love you have for him and the grief you carry will always be there. The grief part does interesting things with time. Only you know when you're ready and certainly because of your history, you will be discussing a comfortable plan with your doctor. Many on this site have been able to go on and have healthy rainbow babies. They shared their fears and anxieties here and we'll do the same for you when you need us:)

Hugs,

Lindsay

• In reply to Hunter and Randi's Mom:

Welcome to Share. I am so sorry for your loss. I personally don't have any experience with placental abruption but I do know what it is like to become pregnant again after loss. Like Marissa said, it is extremely stressful. My suggestion to you is to find a doctor (if you don't already have one) that listens to you and puts your mind at ease. I also found Share to be a huge help as well. There are so many moms on here who have been through a pregnancy after loss and will relate to the roller coaster of emotions pregnancy after loss will bring.

Hugs,

Jami

• I am so sorry for your loss of your sweet Patrick. I did not have an abruption but I did have another baby after my loss. Pregnancy after loss is stressful. One thing that helped me was to meet with my doctor and a high risk doctor to have a plan in place before I even started trying to get pregnant.  Another thing that helped me was having the community of people here on Share who had walked in my shoes before.  We are all here for you.  I will be keeping you in my thoughts.

Hugs,

Marissa

Related