Our NICU journey

That's a lot of white space! This member didn't add their story yet.

Check back later.
Wow, that's a lot of white space! Your story should be here.

Why not write something now?

8 years ago today I was sitting in the hospital on bed rest 3 days away from delivering our first of 3 daughters and entering the horrible world of the NICU. Kensington Grace Pick was born 10/26/2007 after 5 days in the hospital on bedrest due to PIH or pregnancy induced hypertension and failure to thrive on the inside. She was born at 34.6 weeks and weighed 4 lbs 10 oz. Our NICU journey started scary as they were worried about her having infection so she was hooked up to lots of cords and tubes and we weren't allowed to feed her for 24 hours. Thankfully things started going up and once she learned to eat and gain weight after 12 days we were allowed to take her home. Fast forward to 2012 and we were smack dab in the middle of the same situation. This time I was 35.1 weeks pregnant with our 2nd daughter. I had PIH again but was able to just continue to be monitored at home. It was a Sunday morning and I woke up just knowing something was wrong. I hadn't felt movement in awhile and knew it was time to head to the ER. On 2/26/2012 Makinley Kay was born weighing 4 lbs 1 oz. Her journey didn't start out in the NICU. Because she was over 35 weeks and breathing so well on her own they allowed her in our room right away. It was so amazing to get to bond, do kangaroo care and spend quality time with her that we missed with Kensington. However, after 24 hours she was admitted to the NICU as she was to tired to eat. Makinley would spend another 16 days in the NICU learning to feed and grow. Once Makinley turned 1 in 2013 I knew I wanted to have another baby but also knew I wanted to try and get my body in the best shape to try to avoid developing PIH again. I truly believed that this was my fault and something I was causing. I began running and managed to lose 65 pounds. By January 2014 I felt that I was in the best shape of my life. It didn't take long and by February I was pregnant. My pregnancy went very smooth. I continued to stay active and hadn't had any issues. In August we decided to travel to see my parents and some friends. I was 29 weeks pregnant and everything was going great. On August 29th we traveled 4 hours and I remember being extremely uncomfortable while on the drive and constantly having to change my position. I also remember trying to think back to when I had last felt the baby move and I couldn't. I tried to go to sleep that night but tossed and turned all night with the gut feeling that something was wrong. I headed to the ER first thing in the morning and my fear was confirmed. The heartbeat was there but very weak. For some reason our baby was in Stress and needed to be delivered asap. After that everything happened so fast and on August 30th Lincoln Marie was born weighing 2 lbs 13 oz. The next 44 days were filled with a NICU journey I wouldn't wish on anyone. We saw and witnessed more things then I cared to. There were times when I worried that the fight was just to much for Lincoln and I. Thankfully Lincoln too showed us what a fighter she is and on 10/15/2015 she was discharged home. Our NICU journeys have obviously changed my life and shaped me into the person I am today. From the moment I saw the 2 pink lines on the pregnancy test nothing went as planned. I have so much that I am grieving having lost but most importantly I do not go a day without counting my blessings. I HAVE 3 HEALTHY beautiful girls and I couldn't be more blessed. I want more then nothing to give back and to be there to support and advocate for other NICU families.

Add a Comment

Please Sign In or Sign Up to leave a comment

  • I am so happy to hear that your babies thrived ! You are truly blessed ,and I am wishing you and your family a long healthy and happy lives together .

    As the NICU could be a nightmare for one ,it is a blessing for others . Our journey started and ended there unfortunately ...