That's a lot of white space! This member didn't add their story yet.

Check back later.
Wow, that's a lot of white space! Your story should be here.

Why not write something now?

When I was just 26 weeks along I attended my scheduled 3D ultrasound. I was huge with twins (people would stop me and say- oh, you must be due any day now!) and had been on modified bed rest and working from home for about a month. I had already experienced some pre-term labor, had been given terbutaline and released with the understanding that I would need to take it easy and spend as little time on my feet as possible. 

The ultrasound was routine and the babies were measuring well, but at the end the technician said "Uh oh! I need to call the doctor in". These are not words that an anxious mother wants to hear. I was told by the doctor that my cervix was "funneling" and that there was a chance I could go into labor that day. Since I had already experienced some preterm labor, the doctor said that I would need to be put on hospital bedrest. I didn't quite understand the severity of the situation and said I would go home and pack some things and return that afternoon. The doctor became stern with me and stated I was to go to the hospital immediately and to take no further risks or I could lose the twins. 

Once I had checked in and they had begun monitoring me, they showed that I was indeed contracting, but not at a rapid enough pace to medicate me. It still hadn't hit me that there was any real danger. I was feeling rather "put out" and thought the doctors were overreacting and I wanted to go home. They took me on a tour of the NICU and explained that this was where the lucky babies born at 26 weeks were brought to for their care and intense battles for life. I was assured that I didn't want to be there and that remaining in my hospital bed and following doctors' orders was far preferable to visiting my twins in the NICU for months to come. It was a "scared straight" moment for me.

That evening my pre-term labor began again in earnest. I had to use both terbutaline and magnesium sulfate to attempt to stop the contractions. I suffered from pulmonary edema as a result of the magnesium so that was no longer an option. They tried indomethocin (sp?) but I was only allowed to be on that for a few days. I was panicky that I was not going to be able to stop the labor without the medications and we were quickly running out of options. I received steroid shots to try and strengthen the boys' lungs should they come early. My doctors finally prescribed Nifedipine which turned out to be the magic I needed. Somehow, I made it through the next 9 weeks on the Nifedipine and an occasional shot of terbutaline when the contractions would break through. After my 35 week checkup, the doctors felt that the twins would be ok if I were to deliver and they took me off the medication. The next day I went into labor. 

I realize now more than ever how incredibly blessed I am to have delivered my twins at 35 weeks with relatively no health issues. I know how very different our story could have turned out. I also feel very blessed to have my journey lead me to the March of Dimes where I now work. I wish that I had known about the SHARE community while I was going through my struggles, but now I have the incredible opportunity to work with James and the March of Dimes to help expand this community and improve the experience for all of you and those that will rely on Share in the future until all babies can be born healthy and on time. 

Add a Comment

Please Sign In or Sign Up to leave a comment