My beautiful Chanel

That's a lot of white space! This member didn't add their story yet.

Check back later.
Wow, that's a lot of white space! Your story should be here.

Why not write something now?

I am the mother of Chanel.  This has been one wild ride. This was my very 1st pregnancy with Chanel. Everything was fine untill the 3rd trimester hit. I kept gaining a lot of weight and when I would go to my doctors office I would be checked for signs of preeclampsia the normal routine check for (high blood presure, protien in the urine and swelling) everything looked good except the swelling. August 16th 5:30 am waking up I felt like my water broke so I ran to the bathroom and seen I was massivley bleeding so I drove myself to the ER. As soon as I got there once seen by a doctor I got admitted. I was taken into a labor room, every thing was fine before it got worst. I started getting contractions they were getting worst by the min. I started to cough and throw up at the same time. Then my heart rate was dropping dramaticly and they couldn't find Chanel's heart rate.  The nurse panicked and called the Doctor. The doctor rushed in and I seen all these people rushing in. I was taken on a stretcher rushed to the opertating room. I could see about tweleve different doctors.  As I was laying on the operating table I had the anesthesiologist tell me he  was going to put me to sleep. But the doctors were saying we have to start with the emergency C-section. I literally was being cut open with no anesthesia. I remembering trying to scream at feeling cold and chills running down my whole body. I felt like I was fading away. At this point Chanel was lifeless and I was on the verge of dying.  They delivered Chanel at 12:10 pm. Such a special number because my birthday is Dec 10th. I was still admitted I was trying to figure out what the hell was going on. They explained my daughters condition my condition as well. They basically told me that the reason for what everything happened was my placenta was detached and it was a cause of preeclampsia. The doctors that were taking care of my daughter told me she was on a CPAP. Basically telling me that she couldn't breathe on her own because her lungs were too immature. She weight a total of 3 pounds 9oz and a premature born at 32 weeks and 6 days. Going down to visit my daughter in a wheelchair not really in the right state of mind on medication was the worst feeling ever to see your own daughter with tubes running everywhere and all these IVs and wires was the hardest thing I could ever face. I've never felt like this before I didn't understand what was going on with her and I didn't understand the monitors and it would give me anxiety attack when the monitors would make noise or if she would pause breathing. Chanel has been in the nicu for a total of two weeks now. With in those two weeks I spent multiple hours in the nicu doing skin to skin with her and trying to focus on feeding her. Me being there for hours at a time my feet would get really really swollen and I didn't understand why. So one day of being with her for a total of seven hours skin to skin. My feet and legs where so swollen my mom told me to go to triage. So I went upstairs and went to triage and they ran a couple of test to figure out if it was to preeclampsia and the next thing you know I'm being admitted. I was finally in a room around four in the morning. I had all these emotions stirring through my head. When I heard one of the nurses tell me that I couldn't see my daughter until I was done with treatment. So for this treatment I had to do a 24 hour treatment of Magnesium and Epsom salts running Through my IV. When I say it was the worst treatment I have ever experience. If someone has experienced something similar they know what I'm talking about. Magnesium is no joke and it makes you feel like ***. It literally messes with your nervous system. As for the epsoms salts my IV felt like it was burning. I had a hot patch on my arm to cool the salts going into my body and an ice pack on my head to reduce the heat that was giving me hot flashes. I would get up and to use the restroom  4 times every hour. Basically this treatment was taking out all the retained water that I had in my system. They also were monitoring my blood pressure because it was really high. So as this treatment ended I was taken off the IV. Nothing but positive I started feeling better my legs weren't swollen and I lost a large amount of weight. The key here was I needed to get better before I could take care of my daughter. So after all of this being done and said it's just a constant battle to see my daughter in this hard condition. I try to be a positive mother, and strive for the best just like any mother would do. So what I asked for you is to please help Chanel and I to figure out life outside the Nicu, once she is ready to go. I want to become the best mother I could ever become. Thank you for giving the time to read my story. God bless everyone!

Add a Comment

Please Sign In or Sign Up to leave a comment

  • Hi there, I'm really not big on message boards and I don't really ever comment on anything, but tonight I got home from the NICU and opened up my laptop and just googled how to cope with parenting a premature baby and somehow got on the March of Dimes page and this was one of the first stories I read and it really helped a lot. I feel like it's exactly what I've been going through these past 6 days when my son was born due to emergency c-section brought on by sudden and severe preclampsia (though I didn't drive myself to the ER that is so frightening and crazy!) but pretty much everything you wrote I feel like I am experiencing and I wanted to thank you for writing it. This is my first and only pregnancy and it was pretty smooth sailing all along. I did suddenly start to get really swollen feet but didn't have any other major symptoms and just chalked it up to being pregnant. One day my blood pressure sky rocketed out of nowhere and they had to do a c section and we had all of about one hour to get used to the idea that our son was going to be born at 32 weeks. That happened 6 days ago and the day I was discharged I just felt like I was thrown to the wolves. I am still healing from the c section and pumping breastmilk every 3 hours and trying to create a routine of going to the NICU to bond with Sebastian. He's doing relatively well but hasn't been able to feed yet. I feel like each day I try to start fresh and hopeful and take in every ounce I can with him but I also feel like I'm really unraveling and just can't believe this is happening and that this is how I have to begin being a parent. It's so beyond hard. I obviously see other parents in the NICU but haven't really talked to anyone else about this. I have lots of family and friends checking in but I mostly just don't know what to tell them and am just grasping at straws about how to deal with this. I also wanted to thank you for sharing your story and warning about taking care of yourself through all of this. I know my body hasn't healed yet and all I probably should be doing is laying in bed and resting but the thought of not going to see my son is too overwhelming to deal with so I keep pushing myself everyday but today I actually caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and thought I don't look very good. I also still have feet swelling and it really freaks me out about the preeclampsia coming back. I'm so sorry to hear about the resurgance of your medical issues and I really take your advice to heart. Little Channel is beautiful and I really hope and pray for a full recovery for the both of you. Thank you for sharing your story it really meant a lot to read it.