Our Rainbow baby

2020 was a crazy year for most of the world, but my husband and I seemed to get more bad luck then we ever expected. I found out I was pregnant with our first son at the end of 2019 and we were so excited! He was going to be Michael JR. after dad, and we got ourselves all set up in our little home to bring in our bundle of joy. March of 2020 I was dealing with a lot of stress of not only the oncoming pandemic, but also getting diagnosed late into pregnancy at 32 weeks with gestational diabetes. At one of my appointments my doctor noted that my blood pressure was on the high side, but told me to just come back in and they’ll check it again. When they did, it had fallen back to the normal range so I was sent home without a worry. Within 2 days I developed minor symptoms that, being my first time pregnant, I never relayed them to being anything serious. Then, 4 AM on March 25, 2020 I ended having eclampstic seizure cause by the high blood pressure. I woke up in the hospital to be told that at 36 weeks, my son did not survive the seizure. That was the hardest few months of postpartum that I’ve had to deal with and we were absolutely devastated.

Fast forward to the end of 2020, my husband and I did our physical, mental and emotional healing and even though were suggested to wait, we wanted to jump right back into the pregnancy journey. We were right at the end and to see all the baby gear and not have our little man with us made us crave a baby even more. So around September I found out I was pregnant with a little boy again!! We were very happy but very nervous since I was going to be considered a high risk pregnancy. Luckily for us, most of the pregnancy went fine - I didn’t even have the diabetes again and my doctors hadn’t noted any reoccurring preeclampsia signs.

So I ended up having my 34 week OBGYN appointment on the one-year anniversary of my seizure and, rightfully so, my blood pressure was a little on the high side. Just to be safe, my doctor recommended me to go to the hospital to do a few hours of testing just to make sure it was only stress related and not preeclampsia starting again. While I was at the hospital, the nurse had cleared me to be sent home because all the blood pressures were good! Just as they were about to let me leave, she wanted to do a quick check of my cervix. I had been having Braxton Hicks for a few weeks, but they were not painful so she just wanted to check me out. Low and behold, it turns out I was 2 CM dilated!! They had me spend the night to monitor me, and wouldn’t you know, my second son Kaladin decided to make an early appearance ALL NATURALLY ON HIS OWN, exactly one year apart from his older brother - March 26, 2021. Being 34 weeks he is currently in the NICU but doing better and better everyday. My husband and I are convinced that his older brother Mikey knew just how bad we wanted to meet our rainbow baby and how anxious we were getting about my pregnancy.

So all in all, life is crazy, mysterious, scary and joyful, and you never know what it will bring you!!