Cervical cerclage questions and fears

Hi everyone. I am new to this site but so happy I have found it. I am 21 weeks pregnant today with my second child, another boy! Last week I went to get my routine ultra sound and was excited to find out the gender of my baby. During the scan the tech saw that my cervix was open. She had me stay laying down and brought me to the birthing center on the stretcher. The on call doctor came and did an exam and sure enough I was dialated 1 cm. An hour later I was taken to the OR to have a cervical cerclage placed. The doctor told me he couldn't put the stitch where he wanted because the sack was right at the opening of my cervix, he also told me I had a cyst in my cervix which he ended up popping while he placed the stitch. He is concerned that the stitch will fail because it is right at the opening of my cervix. The baby looks fine and so is my cervix, I wasn't having contractions and they have no idea why I was dialated. I am now on strict bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy and have to give myself lovenox injections every morning. I am so scared I'm going to have a miscarriage or that the baby will be pre mature and not make it. I'm scared to move and any little thing I feel I get so scared. I have been on bed rest a total of 6 days and it is so much harder than I thought it would be. I took a shower today and couldn't believe how weak my legs feel already. Has anyone gone through this and have any advice? Any advice would be so appreciated! I have also had dark, thick, sticky discharge about 3 or 4 times. I also have had vaginal pain, but it does not last long. It's just a sharp pain really quick. Does anyone know if this is normal or has anyone experienced this? Thanks so much in advance. I am just freaking out over here.

6 Replies

• In reply to Ayza:

I was on bed rest starting at 3 months, right after I got my cerclage. I wasn’t to be walking around much at all- basically if I did go out. Sitting as much as possible. Or use wheelchair if going out.
  • In reply to Ayza:

I was on strict bed rest. I was only allowed up to use the bathroom, take a shower or go from bed to recliner. I wasn’t supposed to sit except when using the bathroom. When eating I would sit in my recliner but reclined back. Not too far back but not upright.
  • In reply to Colon Family:

I don’t know why I didn’t see this before. Thank you for the prayers. I made it to 32 weeks. My little boy was in the NICU for 19 days and is now a healthy almost 10 month old
  • In reply to Colon Family:

If you don't mind can you please lemme know what kind of bedrest you were on?
    I mean during eating , using the washroom .. What about Sitting
  • I have gone through cerclage and bed rest. We lost our first son at 17 weeks early after it was too late of finding out about my shortened cervix. We were more prepared at my next pregnancy and had cerclage put in to stitch up my cervix at 3 months and was put on strict bed rest for remainder of pregnancy. It was hard but I still managed to do more than I probably should have. At home I would move around between our living room and our bed to make sure I wasn't too weak. If I left our house, it will be for short periods, little walking or if I planned out being out for a while, I would uses a wheelchair. We had a healthy boy only born 4 weeks early. The cerclage was a big help and the bed rest for pregnancy was as well. Prayers for you.
Related